Posted: January 6, 2022
This American Life is looking for an Office Coordinator to undertake a variety of day-to-day office and administrative tasks. The ideal candidate will be independent, diplomatic, and a creative organizer.
This American Life has been on the air since 1995, has won every major award for journalistic excellence, and is hugely popular, with a combined 4.4 million radio listeners and podcast downloads each week. We currently have 37 employees, and work closely with nine staff members at Serial Productions. Most of our team is based in NYC, but some are distributed across the country.
The Office Coordinator will be an integral part in ensuring that our office operations run smoothly as we continue to grow.
Some things you’ll do in this role:
- Be the first face of This American Life: sit at and manage the front desk, greet all guests, handle deliveries, and be a general hub for both staff and guests.
- Make sure the office is clean and well organized.
- Help staff with basic on-site technology assistance (printers/wi-fi set up) and serve as liaison with tech support for escalated issues Manage all supply inventory and ordering.
- Schedule repairs, maintenance, and other office work as needed.
- Help plan events (team retreats, happy hours, wrap parties, holiday party).
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail and packages.
- Credit card expenses and other administrative tasks.
- Ad-hoc data entry projects.
Some things we’re looking for:
- Excellent interpersonal skills; you’ll be talking to journalists, vendors, and a variety of guests, so a professional and personable phone and email manner is essential.
- Proven organizational skills; ideally, you have experience maintaining an efficient and organized office environment.
- Proven ability to multitask, and a willingness to take on whatever needs doing.
- Independence; you have experience self-organizing and prioritizing and are able to diplomatically and effectively push outside contractors as needed.
This role is a part-time, in-office salaried role at 32 hours/week, based out of the This American Life office in New York City. An ideal schedule would be four hours each on Monday and Tuesday, and then eight hours each day Wednesday-Friday.
The Office Coordinator will report to our Operations Manager.
Part-time employees at 32 hours/week will qualify for medical coverage, pro-rated time off and participation in our profit-sharing plan. They’re also eligible to receive Dental, Vision, and life coverage and are also eligible to enroll in our 401k (with matching contributions).
We believe that having a diverse staff is the only way to effectively document the reality of life in this country with the proper nuance and perspective. A more diverse group of people working behind the scenes makes us better at every stage of our processes. So we strongly encourage people of all backgrounds, races, genders, and abilities to apply.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] by Monday, January 24th. In your cover letter, tell us about a time you organized something and what challenges you had to overcome. If you have references ready, please include them. Please put “Office Coordinator” and your name in the subject line. When you apply you will get a notification that your application was received. If we decide to move forward with your application, we will reach out to you directly to schedule an interview.