Serial Productions is looking for an experienced Managing Editor with strong organizational and editorial skills to develop and manage the production of new podcasts and to help grow our young company.
About us and the role:
Serial Productions was founded by the producers of the public radio show This American Life, and is the foremost creator of gripping, narrative podcasts. Our shows are the most listened-to in the world: The three seasons of Serial and the hit spin-off S-Town have been downloaded 560 million times and counting. Our non-fiction programming adheres to the highest journalistic standards -- and as a result has received the highest awards in broadcast journalism.
The Managing Editor will work alongside Serial’s Executive Producer as a senior voice in show operations, marketing, and the editorial process. We’re a small company with big ambitions so there’s plenty to do and a lot of room for new ideas, especially if they help us keep our shows running efficiently and strategically. More specifically, in this role you will:
- Work with producers and creators to build and manage budgets
- Develop production calendars and manage workflow
- Recruit and hire production staff
- Negotiate contracts with contributors and third-party licensors
- Coordinate with our digital and operations teams to come up with distribution and marketing strategies for our shows, including website creation and multimedia content
- Be a part of our editorial process, coordinating an executive editorial team and attending editorial and production meetings as part of this team
- Spearhead and manage legal review processes for all content, including licensing of copyrighted material
We’re looking for someone with demonstrated journalism experience who is committed to making groundbreaking podcasts, and to expanding our company. The ideal candidate will have:
- Editorial skills and 5+ years experience producing long-form, non-fiction audio stories
- Experience launching new podcasts or audio initiatives
- Previous success as a team builder, leader, and manager
- Strong organizational and communication (verbal and written) skills
- Experience creating budgets and negotiating contracts
- Experience working with artists, web producers, and designers to create logos and visual elements for audio shows
- Proficiency in ProTools a plus
This position is based at the Serial Productions office in New York City. Serial Productions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that supports our staff to develop career opportunities. We strongly encourage people of color, people with disabilities, women and LGBT candidates to apply.
Please send a cover letter along with a resume and links to work samples to [email protected] by October 1st. Please put Managing Editor and your name in the subject line. Work samples can include projects you’ve produced or edited, and don’t necessarily need to feature work you’ve written or reported.